Recipe: Vegetable Stock
Summary: Make your vegetable stock ahead of time.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup parsnips
- 1/2 small garlic bulb
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 Bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons Each: fresh chives, thyme
- 1/2 bunch Parsley
- 8 cups Water
- In a stock pot, heat the
- oil and add onions and carrots. Cook gently for to 15 mnutes, or until
- lightly browned.
- Add the celery, parsnips, garlic, nutritional yeast and tomato and
- saute for another 5 to 10 minutes. Add herbs and water. Bring to a boil.
- Strain the liquid, pressing on the solids to extract as much of the liquid
- as possible. Discard the solids and refrigerate overnight.
Makes 6 to 7 cups.
You can use any veggies you have on hand.
Preparation time: 30 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6