Recipe: Chicken Gumbo
Summary: Low Glycemic, low carb and low calorie chicken dish.
- 1 skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced small
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced small
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup low-sodium, fat free chicken broth
- 1/2 (14 1/2–ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1/2 (10-ounce) package frozen cut okra, thawed **
- 1/8 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon Creole or Cajun seasoning, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon gumbo filé powder (optional)
- 1. Cut raw chicken into strips or cubes.
- 2. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until
- hot. Sauté garlic, onion, and bell pepper, stirring often, until onion
- is translucent, about 3 minutes. Season chicken with salt and pepper
- to taste and add to skillet. Give pan a good shake every now and then
- to sear chicken on all sides, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- 3. Add broth, tomatoes with their liquid, and okra. Stir to break up
- the okra, then cover, reduce heat, and simmer 8 minutes or until
- everything is heated through and slightly thickened.
- 4. Stir in hot sauce and Creole or Cajun seasoning. If you want a
- thicker gumbo, turn off the heat, add the gumbo filé powder (ground
- sassafras leaves — traditional in Cajun cooking), and stir for another
- 1 to 2 minutes. If gumbo becomes too thick, thin to taste with
- additional chicken broth or hot water.
**I didn’t do the okra. Eww!
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 45 minute(s)
Culinary tradition: USA (Southern)